Dogwood is the state flower. Virginia Courthouses

 

The Henrico County courthouse is near Richmond, Virginia.

Henrico County
4301 East Parham Road
Richmond VA 23228

Additional Pictures

 

Links of Interest

 

 

Henrico County was named for Henry, Prince of Wales, the oldest son of James I.

Henrico County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Christopher Newport and Captain John Smith scouted the area.

Later William Byrd II decided the falls on the James reminded him of Richmond-on-Thames and named it Richmond. It was settled in 1737.

In 1780 as the Colonial capital it was burned by Benedict Arnold.



























 

 

 

 

 
 

Additional Pictures:

Plaque at Henrioc County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Bicentennial of the United States Constitution

Governor Edmund Randolph and John Marshall represented the County of Henrico at the Virginia Ratification of the United States Constitution Convention, held in Richmond in 1788. As staunch supporters of the document, they formed an alliance with James Madison, “Lighthorse Harry” Lee and George Wythe and secured its ratification. Later, Governor Randolph became the first Attorney General of the United States, and John Marshall served as the third Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

     

History of Henrico Area

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Early courthouse

During the 1620s, Henrico court meetings were referred to as the Court of Upper charles city. After the establishment of the county in 1634, the gentlemen justices of Henrico assembled for their monthly sessions either at the home of one of their members or at a local meeting place such as a tavern or church. By 1640, the Henrico Court was meeting in Varina, and in 1680, Varina "where the court house is" was designated a town by the general Assembly. The first courthouse was described as a wood frame structure built on blocks which underwent major repairs in 1688. Sometime between 1688 and 1749, the next building was erected. Henrico courthouses remained at or near the same site just east of Dutch Gap until 1752 when the court moved to the new town of richmond.

Historians believe the Varina Courthouse in the early 1800s was a simple brick structure.

History of Henrico County

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Picture:
Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, as a young man, ca. 1600. Thomas Dale named Henricus in his honor, later to known as Henrico County.

In 1611, Sir Thomas Dale founded the Citie of Henricus, the second settlement in the Colony of Virginia which later became Henrico County. Henrico, named for Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales and son of King James !, became one of the original eight shires of virginia in 1634. The county originally included land on both sides of the James River from Charles City County west to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was later divided into ten additional counties and three cities.

In 1934, exactly 300 years after becoming one of the original shires., Henrico became the first county in Virginia to adopt the county manager form of government. That year, the Borad of Supervisors appointed Willard F. Day County Manager. Since then, the Board of Supervisors has been responsible for policy making while the County Manager has been responsible for the day-to-day operations of county services.

..
Dale Picture:
Sir thomas Dale led the expedition that established the Virginia Company's second settlement.

Map of counties which were originally part of Henrico.

[Click for a larger view.]

  Map of Henrico county before being divided.

Henrico County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

 

History of the modern courthouse.

The original 17th century settlement was surrounded by a fortification at Dutch Gap. The colony expanded as plantations and outlying settlements were established.

In 1834, the English authorities designated Henrico as a shire. At this time, Henrico boundaries extended along the James River from its junction with the Appomattox River to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was later divided into the above ten additional counties and three cities.

History of Henrico Courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

 

In 1752 Henrico Courthouse, a colonial-style brick structure, was built in Richmond in the middle of 22nd and East Main streets. The Declaration Independence was read publicly for the first time from its steps on August 5, 1776. In 1824, the courthouse was in need of repair and a committee decided to completely rebuild the structure. It opened in November of 1825 and stood in the middle of 22nd Street like its predecessor. It was described as a building 70 by 46 feet, one story high, with a gallery around the courtroom. It was made of brick and was fronted by a Doric portico with four columns. In 1848, the courthouse was dismantled and rebuilt on the corner of 22nd and East Main streets opening the road to traffic. This structure was damaged during the Civil War in the evacuation fire of April 1865. It was replaced in 1896 by a new courthouse designed to house all of the county’s offices. Annexation by the City of Richmond expanded beyond the boundaries of the courthouse which make it necessary to declare the courthouse parcel part of Henrico in order to maintain its county jurisdiction.

Courthouse as it appeared in 1850.

[Click for a larger view.]

  The courthouse (inset) as it appeared in the 1850s. In November of 1894, the Board of Supervisors decided to replace the Romanesque Revival Brick building.

Sketch of courthouse, 1825.

[Click for a larger view.]

 

1825 architect’s sketch of courthouse

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top

Links of Interest:

 

Clerk of the Court

 
         
    Top    
 

 

 

 

 

2008 © Lucas & Lucas, P.S. • Contact Us | Web by JJBea, Inc.