Dogwood is the state flower. Virginia Courthouses

 

The Charlotte County courthouse is at the county seat, Charlotte Court House, Virginia.

125 David Bruce Avenue
P. O. Box 38
Charlotte Cthse, VA 23923-0038

Additional Pictures

 

Links of Interest

 

 

The county was named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, consort of George III. The county was created November 10, 1764 from Lunenburg County. The first court was held in March 1765.

Charlotte County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

On March 1799 Patrick Henry and John Randolph, from Roanoke, debated the question of States rights. Henry believed the state did not have the right to oppose oppressive Federal laws. Randolph, on the other hand, believed states retained the right to oppose oppressive Federal laws. [This very question was the central issue for the Civil War 100 years later and is still being decided by the courts.] This was Henry’s last speech and Randolph’s first. Henry died three months later.

 

The present Charlotte County courthouse was built by John Percivulle in 1822-23 from plans drawn by Thomas Jefferson for the 1822 Buckingham County courthouse. This was the first temple form used for a court building in Virginia. According to the Historic Registry, it is Early Republic, Late Victorian in style. The Charlotte County courthouse inspired several other court structures in the piedmont area.

 

 

 
 

Additional Pictures:

Additional view of the Charlotte County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

  Additional view of the courthouse.

Inside the Charlotte County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

  An Interior view of the courthouse.

Office of the Clerk for Charlotte County

[Click for a larger view.]

  The clerk’s office is a separate building and also houses the General District court.

Charlotte County Library

[Click for a larger view.]

  The library.

Historical Marker near Charlotte County Courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

  Historical Marker telling the history of the library.

Charlotte County Museum

[Click for a larger view.]

  Charlotte County Museum.

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Historical marker near the courthouse.

There are always two sides to a story as shown in the different discriptions.
Wilson - Kautz Raid

In June 1864, to deny Gen. Rober E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R. R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James h. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of
Petersbury on a cavalry raid to destroy tract and rolling stock. After destroying railroad facilities and equipment at Burkeville Junction, Meherrin Station, and Keysville, several parties of
Federal foragers arrived here about 11 a.m. on June 25. The fears of local citizens were somewhat eased when the detachments burned no buildings.

"A party of 72 reached Charlotte Court House about 11 o'clock (a.M.) Saturday, and remained three or four hours, and employed themselves in stealing horses, destroying furniture, breaking open
iron safes and robbing citizens of money, watches and jewelry. They did not burn the Court House, clerk's office or any other building."
Confederate News Report, The Richmond Examiner, July 4, 1864.

* * * * * *

"Went to Charlotte Court House, Detachment of second New York broke open stores, released two civil prisoners and did many things out of the way. Our hopes did not indulge in one thing disgraceful
to my knowledge. People complimented us very highly. Seemed very thankful that we did not rob or burn."
Trooper Luman Harris Tenney, 2nd Ohio Cavalry.

In beige at the bottom right corner:
Patrick Henry's last public debate took place in the courthouse square in 1799, when he and John Randolph of Roanoke contended for seats in the Virginia House of Delegates.
The present Charlotte County courthouse was built by John Percival in 1822-23 from plans by Thomas Jeffersons for the 1822 Buckingham County courthouse, the first temple-form court building in Virginia.
Quintessentially Virginia with its red brick and white classical trim, the Charlotte County courthouse inspired several other court structures inthe southern Piedmont and is still in regular use.

Historical Marker at Charlotte County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

 

Henry and Randolph's Debate

Here, in March 1799, took place the noted debate between Partick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke on the question of States’ Rights. Henry denied the right of a state to oppose oppressive Federal laws. Randolph affirmed that right. This was Henry’s last speech and Randolph’s first. Henry died three months later.

Confederate Memorial

[Click for a larger view.]

  Confederate Memorial
   

 

Top

Links of Interest:

Circuit Courts

General District (10th)

Official Website

Museum

RootsWeb

Wikipedia

Political Graveyard: Graves of famous people

Walking Tour of Court Area

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

       
    Top    
 

 

 

 

 

2008 © Lucas & Lucas, P.S. • Contact Us | Web by JJBea, Inc.