Dogwood is the state flower. Virginia Courthouses

 

Bath County Courthose is located in Warm Springs, Virginia.

P. O. Box 180
Courthouse
Warm Springs, VA 24484-0180

Additional Pictures

 

Links of Interest

 

 

Named for the many Hot Springs or after Bath of England which is also home to many healing springs.

Bath County courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

Bath County was formed in 1790 as part of Augusta, Botetourt, and Greene Counties. The county court first met in Bath on 10 May 1791 at the house of John Lewis widow, who donated two areas opposite the mineral baths for public use.

The log jail was built in 1792. In 1796 a one-story stone courthouse was constructed. This structure was soon in adequate. In the 1830’s citizens petitioned the General Assembly to move the court to nearby Germantown (present day Warm Springs) or north to Cleek’s Mill. Both petitions failed. Instead the dilapidated buildings were replaced with these brick structures in 1842.

The court finally moved to Germantown in 1908 and the old site was advertised for sale as “ideally located for a fine Hotel at this wonderful watering place.”

The architect, Frank P. Milburn, predicted the new courthouse would be “an honor and ornament to Bath County for generations.” It contained a central rotunda with exhibit space, a fire-proof vault, and elaborate facilities for jurors including overnight rooms with “nice single iron beds” and toilets.

The building burned in 1912, but the county records dating from 1791 onward survived with the loss of only one order book left outside the vault overnight. In 1914 a new, Classical Revival-style courthouse, designed by T. J. Collins and Son, was completed on the same foundation. An addition doubled its size in 1980.

 
 

Additional Pictures:

Confederate Memorial

[Click for a larger view.]

  They have a statue to the Confederate soldiers. 1861-1865. It is with a green top on it. Looks like it was originally built like a cross and there is an addition in the back.

Historical Marker telling the history of Bath

[Click for a larger view.]

  The county seat of bath after a 112 years in buildings near the Warm Spings mineral bath, a mile northeast, the Bath County court moved into this site in 1908. The architect, Frank P. Milburn, predicted the new courthouse would be “An honor and an ornament to the Bath County for generations.” It contained a rotunda, a fireproof vault, and elaborate facilities for jurors, including over night rooms with ‘nice single iron beds’ and toilets. The building burned in 1912, but the county records in 1791 on ward survived with the loss of only one order book, left outside the vault for the night.

Plaque on Memorial at Amherst Courthouse

[Click for a larger view.]

  Terrill Hill
Nearby is the site of Terrill Hill, home of the Terrill brothers of Bath County. Brigadier General William R. Terrill, a graduate of West Point, commanded a Union Brigade and was killed in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1962. His brother, Brigadier General James B. Terrill, a graduate of Virginia Military Institute, served with General A. P. Hill’s 13th Regiment, Virginia Infantry and died in the Battle of the Wilderness, May 31, 1864. Legend says their father a monument to his sons with the inscription, “God alone knows which was right.”

Plaque at the bathhouse at Warm Springs.

[Click for a larger view.]

  Built in 1761, the Men’s Bath House is one of the oldest spa structures still in existence in the United States. This original octagonal building is believed to have been designed by Thomas Jefferson during one of his frequent visits to the region. The men’s pool is 40ft. in diameter, 120ft. in circumference, and holds nearly 43,000 gallons of water. The Jefferson Pools have attracted visitors to the area for more than 200 years to take advantage of the soothing 98 degree mineral water, also known as “the cure.”

Sign at the bathhouse in Warm Springs.

[Click for a larger view.]

  The Jefferson Pools Thomas Jefferson, like so many others, enjoyed the perfect warmth of the crystal clear,natural mineral spring waters, with the ancient custom called “Taking the Waters.” This custom was prevalent in European Spa Resorts for many centuries, and was brought to the colonies as a form of relief from the anxieties, aches and pains of everyday life.

The tradition of “Taking the Waters” included bathing in the springs, which effervesce naturally to the surface inside the Ladies or Gentlemen’s Pool Houses, and afterwards drinking from this separate Drinking Pool. Over the centuries customs evolve, and partaking of the waters internally has ceased to be fashionable – yet bathing in these same natural, warm mineral springs that Jefferson found so efficacious is even more popular today than when the Gentlemen’s Pool House was completed in 1761.You are most Welcome to step back in history with us, and “Take the Waters” by bathing in

The Homestead’s Jefferson pools. Please consult our Attendants in either the Ladies or the Gentlemen’s Pool House for complete details.

     
     
   

 

 

 

Top

Links of Interest:

Circuit Court

General District (25th)

Additional site with a variety of information.

History

Political Graveyard

Genealogical Project for Bath County

Photos of Bath County

 
         
    Top    
 

 

 

 

 

2008 © Lucas & Lucas, P.S. • Contact Us | Web by JJBea, Inc.